Synonyms and definition of the word or term
- S: (n) acclivity , ascent , climb , rise , upgrade an upward slope or grade (as in a road). (the car couldn't make it up the rise)
- S: (n) heave , lift the act of raising something. (he responded with a lift of his eyebrow | fireman learn several different raises for getting ladders up)
- S: (n) hike , rise , salary increase , wage hike , wage increase the amount a salary is increased. (he got a 3% raise | he got a wage hike)
- S: (v) arouse , elicit , enkindle , evoke , fire , kindle , provoke call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses). (arouse pity | raise a smile | evoke sympathy)
- S: (v) levy , recruit cause to assemble or enlist in the military. (raise an army | recruit new soldiers)
- S: (v) resurrect , upraise cause to become alive again. (raise from the dead | Slavery is already dead, and cannot be resurrected | Upraising ghosts)
- S: (v) leaven , prove cause to puff up with a leaven. (unleavened bread)
- S: (v) erect , put up , rear , set up construct, build, or erect. (Raise a barn)
- S: (v) farm , grow , produce cultivate by growing, often involving improvements by means of agricultural techniques. (The Bordeaux region produces great red wines | They produce good ham in Parma | We grow wheat here | We raise hogs here)
- S: (v) advance , elevate , kick upstairs , promote , upgrade give a promotion to or assign to a higher position. (John was kicked upstairs when a replacement was hired | Women tend not to advance in the major law firms | I got promoted after many years of hard work)
- S: (v) enhance , heighten increase. (This will enhance your enjoyment | heighten the tension)
- S: (v) lift invigorate or heighten. (lift my spirits | lift his ego)
- S: (v) bring up , nurture , parent , rear look after a child until it is an adult. (raise a family | bring up children)
- S: (v) lift move upwards. (lift one's eyes)
- S: (v) lift put an end to. (lift a ban | raise a siege)
- S: (v) bring up put forward for consideration or discussion. (raise the question of promotions | bring up an unpleasant topic)
- S: (v) bring up , elevate , get up , lift raise from a lower to a higher position. (Raise your hands | Lift a load)
- S: (v) elevate , lift raise in rank or condition. (The new law lifted many people from poverty)
- S: (v) arouse , bring up , call down , call forth , conjure , conjure up , evoke , invoke , put forward , stir summon into action or bring into existence, often as if by magic. (raise the specter of unemployment | he conjured wild birds in the air | call down the spirits from the mountain)
- a:19: rise; wage hike; hike; wage increase; salary increase; ascent; acclivity; climb; upgrade; lift; heave; actuation; gamble; incline;i:14; increase;i:15; increment;i:16; propulsion;i:17; side;i:18; slope; ant; descent; a:103: raise; lift; elevate; get up; bring up; grow; farm; produce; rear; nurture; parent; conjure; conjure up; invoke;i:14; evoke;i:15; stir;i:16; call down;i:17; arouse;i:18; put forward;i:19; call forth;i:20; erect;i:21; set up;i:22; put up;i:23; elicit;i:24; enkindle;i:25; kindle;i:26; fire;i:27; provoke;i:28; enhance;i:29; heighten;i:30; promote;i:31; upgrade;i:32; advance;i:33; kick upstairs;i:34; leaven;i:35; prove;i:36; recruit;i:37; levy;i:38; resurrect;i:39; upraise;i:40; advert;i:41; alter;i:42; ameliorate;i:43; amend;i:44; articulate;i:45; assign;i:46; bet;i:47; better;i:48; bid;i:49; bring out;i:50; build;i:51; call;i:52; change;i:53; cite;i:54; collect;i:55; compound;i:56; construct;i:57; contact;i:58; create;i:59; cultivate;i:60; deepen;i:61; delegate;i:62; depute;i:63; designate;i:64; displace;i:65; draft;i:66; end;i:67; enlist;i:68; enounce;i:69; enunciate;i:70; express;i:71; get hold of;i:72; get through;i:73; give tongue to;i:74; improve;i:75; incite;i:76; increase;i:77; instigate;i:78; intensify;i:79; make;i:80; meliorate;i:81; mention;i:82; modify;i:83; move;i:84; multiply;i:85; muster in;i:86; name;i:87; play;i:88; pronounce;i:89; reach;i:90; refer;i:91; resuscitate;i:92; revive;i:93; say;i:94; set off;i:95; sound out;i:96; stir up;i:97; take in;i:98; terminate;i:99; utter;i:100; verbalise;i:101; verbalize;i:102; wager; ant; demote; level; lower; rel; lift up;
- Find out more about Raise on Wikipedia.
- Check out the etymology of Raise on Etymonline.com.
- Photos related to Raise on Instagram...